Raw Vegan Tacos, can I get a hell yeah!? This might be my favorite meal of all time, I am seriously in love with this dish. In this recipe I’ll show you how to make raw vegan tortillas from scratch using a dehydrator and then my taco-spiced kale salad filling.
If you haven’t checked out my YouTube channel yet you can subscribe here and I have a whole series of ‘What I Eat in a Day’ videos and this recipe video is one of them!
These raw vegan tortillas are easy to make and only take a few inexpensive, simple ingredients. I am able to get all of these in bulk or the produce section, so this is a fully ‘zero waste’ recipe, which I love. Low waste, low fat – all the good things you need and nothing you don’t! As far as dehydrator recipes go these are quick and easy, I can put these in during the afternoon and they are ready by dinnertime, no need to leave something overnight or premeditate it the previous day. 🙂
- 2 large carrots
- 10 medjool dates
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup flax seeds
- dash of paprika
- dash of cayenne
- Grind your flax till it is a flax meal or flour. Add it to a mixing bowl.
- Chop your carrots then add them to the food processor. Process till they are very fine.
- Add 1 cup of the processed carrot to the Vitamix with the dates & water. Blend until smooth.
- Add the sauce to the flax meal in the mixing bowl and stir until smooth.
- Add in the rest of the processed carrot and the spices and stir to combine.
- Spread the batter ¼ thick in rounds on dehydrator trays with silicone mats. You can make 4 rounds per tray for a total of 18 tortillas.
- Dehydrate for 4-5 hours on 113F flipping halfway through. When you flip the tortillas remove the silicone mats and let them 'cook' the rest of the way just on the tray, this will speed up the process.
- Serve with kale taco filling, see below!
The filling is my tried and true favorite Avocado Massaged Kale Salad I posted a few years ago, however, I’ve reduced the amount of avocado without sacrificing any flavor. The key is to make sure you include lots of delicious spices so it will taste like taco filling and it’s important to massage the kale with the lemon and avocado so it’s softened and creamy.
- 12 homemade raw tortillas (see above)
- 1 head kale
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- ¼ cup garlic chives, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp sea salt (optional)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 head lettuce, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- Chop the kale into bite-sized pieces then massage it with the lemon juice until it softens.
- Add in the avocado and massage again until creamy.
- Add in the cilantro, scallions, jalapeño, garlic chives & spices. Mix well to combine.
- Add in your lettuce and tomato, toss to incorporate.
- Serve this tasty filling in the raw vegan tortillas. Enjoy!
If you make this, then let me know, and I’d love to see your pictures on Instagram! Just tag me @CultivatorKitchen and use the hashtag #CultivatorKitchen so I can see and comment. 🙂