This quick, easy & tasty tofu and mushroom dish is served over steamed brown rice. While this isn’t a traditional recipe, it has all the full flavor of Korean BBQ while being oil-free, vegan and healthy! I shared this on Instagram and it was too good not to post the recipe here for everyone. 🙂
I didn’t plan this meal in advance, it just came together in a few minutes. Sometimes your ingredients inspire you to get creative. Try this out to impress any surprise guests since you may already have these ingredients on hand in your pantry! The amounts and ratios in this recipe are very forgiving, so adjust to your preferences.
About the Ingredients
Gochujang, or Korean red pepper paste, is one of my kitchen staples. Gochujang is a thick, spicy, fermented paste with a ton of umami flavor and hint of sweetness. You can also use it in soups, on toast or rice, and to make savory pancakes or Korean-style fried rice! You can find gochujang at any Asian grocer, Whole Foods Market, and many local co-ops or regular grocery stores.
- 1 block extra firm tofu, sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos garlic sauce
- 1-2 tbsp vegan BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tsp mirin
- ½ tsp ume vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- dash of black pepper
- Combine all your sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Slice your tofu, don't press or drain, the water will cook off in the pan.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium-high and place your tofu slices on the pan. Don't touch the tofu for 5 minutes.
- Flip the tofu once the bottom is crispy, brown the other side. Turn down the heat to medium and don't move the tofu for another 3-4 minutes. The second side will cook faster.
- Add your mushrooms on top of the tofu in the pan and let them cook down while the tofu browns.
- Once the tofu is crispy add in the sauce and flip to coat evenly.
- Turn down the heat to low and let the sauce caramelize for 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds for garnish.
- Serve hot over steamed brown rice. Enjoy!
Did you give this a try?? Let me know below in the comments or tag #CultivatorKitchen on Instagram so I can see your tasty creation! 🙂