Right now what I need is something comforting, grounding & healthy. This delicious potato leek soup fits that perfectly. It also brings back amazing memories from my trip to Ireland where I ate this nearly every day at a co-op in Dublin. I love to serve this with my Gluten-Free Oat Bread on the side.
Another reason this soup is particularly appealing right now as we survive the covid-19 crisis is that it’s made from easy-to-store root vegetables. Leeks and potatoes will last weeks, if not months, when stored properly. I myself have had the leeks and potatoes used in this recipe video for over a month.
These are also two of the easiest veggies to grow in your own backyard! What better time than now to start a little ‘victory garden’ and have something homegrown to enjoy. 🌿
This soup is quick & easy in the Instant Pot and takes only a bit longer if you want to cook it on the stove instead, I’ve included directions for both below. This will thicken up considerable if allowed to cool a bit. And will get even thicker in the fridge overnight if you have leftovers.
I like to leave my potato leek soup a little brothy and chunky. If you prefer it more creamy you can blend it complete smooth. I topped mine with some dried parsley flakes for a little color and salt & pepper to taste. 🙂
Potato Leek Soup
- 2.5 lbs potatoes, cubed
- 2 leeks, just the white stalks, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloved, minced
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes optional
- salt and black pepper to taste optional
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode. For stovetop set a soup pot on medium high.
- Add the leeks, onions & garlic and saute for 5 minutes stirring occasionally till they start to brown.
- Add a splash of veggie broth and then add the spices. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off Saute mode on the Instant Pot. Add your potatoes, veggie broth & water.
- Place the Instant Pot lid and set the valve to Sealing. Set the Instant Pot on Pressure Cook for 6 minutes. After, do a quick release and carefully remove the lid. For stovetop simply reduce the heat to medium and cook for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are very tender.
- Add the oat milk and then use an immersion blender to blend the soup. I like to leave some potato chunks.
- Add in the parsley flakes, and taste before adding salt and pepper. Let cool 30 minutes to thicken and for perfect serving temperature. Serve & enjoy.
If you make this scrumptious soup, post a picture to Instagram and tag me @CultivatorKitchen and use the hashtag #culivatorkitchen so I can see!
And don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel for a lot more regular content, recipes, and to see my ‘what I eat in a day’ vlogs: Subscribe to Cultivator Kitchen on YouTube.
[…] 🌿 FULL RECIPE Link to recipe http://cultivatorkitchen.com/potato-leek-soup […]