A divine, sumptuous rice and bean dish that takes about 5 minutes to make? Yes, please! This Lima Bean Dill Rice recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and super tasty. It makes a large amount so you might even have some very delicious leftovers. 🥰
One of my go-to meals, even before I was vegan, was lima beans and rice. If you don’t think you are a lima bean fan, you will have to trust me on this one and give it a try! A few years ago I tried a similar dish at a Persian restaurant and then this recipe was born. It’s simple and quick, and great to eat by itself or paired with my hummus recipe and some pita.
Since this has minimal ingredients that are easy to keep on hand, it is also a great recipe to make when you haven’t gone grocery shopping recently or are clearing out the pantry. I always keep a bag of green baby lima beans in my freezer and use them straight from frozen just for this recipe.
Make sure to use the immature green lima beans, not the full-size white dried lima beans. Those take much longer to cook and don’t stay firm once cooked. If you can’t find baby lima beans, you can substitute frozen green soybeans aka edamame.
For this recipe, you can use any rice that suits your fancy, though Basmati or long grain rice would be more authentic. I tend to have sushi rice on hand, so that is what I used here.
What is your favorite kind of rice? Comment below!
Lima Bean Dill Rice
- 1 cup rice, dry
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 tsps fresh or dried dill
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions, I used a rice cooker.
- In a pan on medium heat, thaw your lima beans until they are warm all the way through.
- Move the lima beans to the side of the pan and add the olive oil and cumin seeds directly in the oil. Temper the seeds for about 30 seconds till they are fragrant and golden, be careful not to burn them.
- Turn off the heat and mix together the beans and cumin seeds. Add in the cooked rice, dill and sea salt.
- Mix gently till well combined, taste to adjust any seasoning. Server warm. Enjoy!
If you make this lima bean dill rice, please post a picture on Instagram and tag me @CultivatorKitchen and use the hashtag #culivatorkitchen so I can see!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for regular recipe videos, urban homesteading & gardening, and more: Subscribe to Cultivator Kitchen on YouTube.
Leave a Reply