Amazingly simple & flavorful winter stew filled with cabbage, potatoes & kale. YUM. This is so delicious and satisfying, perfect for a snowy winter day. I made this quick & easy by preparing the stew in the Instant Pot, however, I include stovetop directions too in the Cabbage Potato Kale Stew recipe below. 🙂
One of the best things about the Instant Pot is how quickly you can have a meal that tastes like you slow-cooked it for hours. This is one that tastes like you were simmering away all day but it’s ready in minutes. It actually takes me longer to chop all the vegetables than it does to cook the dish!
Cabbage & potatoes are a classic combo. They pair so well together in this dish and are also some of the most budget-friendly ingredients you can buy. This recipe also makes a large amount so you can get the most bang for your buck. Then I add some dino kale at the end for a pop of color and extra nutrition.
The warm & savory broth with the chunky perfectly cooked vegetables are SO good. If you want this to be more of a soup, or for reheating leftovers, you can add more broth or water to the pot.
I love to serve this with my GF Yeast-Free Oat Bread recipe for dipping. It’s sooo good. Are you loving stews and soups this winter? What is your go-to recipe for when your cold and need something comforting?
Instant Pot Cabbage Potato Kale Stew
- 2.5 lbs gold potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 head green cabbage, roughly chopped in large chunks
- 1 head dino kale, destemmed & cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- Start the Instant Pot in Saute mode with the lid off. Or on the stovetop in a pot on medium high heat. Add your garlic, onion & a splash of veggie broth to saute in the bottom of the pot. Cook for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add your spices and the coconut aminos and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Turn off Saute mode and add your potatoes and cabbage to the pot. Add the rest of the quart of veggie broth.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set the valve to Sealing. Set to Pressure Cook for 3 minutes. When it finishes, quick release the steam so the cabbage does not overcook.For the stovetop add your potatoes and the broth and cook until soft about 12-15 minutes then add the cabbage and cook another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the dino kale, it will cook from the heat of the stew. Wait till it cools and then serve and enjoy!
If you make this cabbage potato kale stew, post a picture to Instagram and tag me @CultivatorKitchen and use the hashtag #culivatorkitchen so I can see!
And don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel for a lot more regular content, recipes, and to see my ‘what I eat in a day’ vlogs: Subscribe to Cultivator Kitchen on YouTube.