These tangy and zesty pickled red onions are mouthwateringly addictive. They go great on all types of dishes from tacos to rice bowls, salads, sandwiches, and more! It takes less than 5 minutes to make these and they keep in the fridge until you’ve eaten them all. 😋 This recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
This is one of the simplest and tastiest ‘quick pickle’ recipes that there is! These pickled onions are super quick and easy to put together, with only 4 ingredients. Once you put them in the fridge for a few hours they are ready to be served and will last indefinitely. I sometimes leave them overnight for use the next day. It’s also a great recipe to use for weekend meal prep and to have as a topping for dishes all week.
The vinegar and salt brine makes the onion flavor milder while adding a salty, savory quality that literally makes your mouth water. The fun bright pop of pink color is also visually appealing and adds something to any meal. I love to use these on so many different recipes, here are just a few dishes that they are delicious on:
- Rice Bowls
And there are many more ways you can add these pickles to dishes. What is your favorite way to eat pickled red onions? Have you tried them before?
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Thinly slice your onions and add them to a pint-sized mason jar.
- In a small saucepan add your water, salt, and vinegar. Bring to just boiling then turn off the heat.
- Pour the hot brine over the onions in the jar, make sure to leave a little room at the top.
- Once the pickles have cooled to room temperature, put on a lid and place them in the fridge for a few hours to overnight. Serve & enjoy!
If you make these scrumptious onions, post a picture to Instagram and tag me @CultivatorKitchen and use the hashtag #culivatorkitchen so I can check it out!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more recipes and to see my garden videos: Subscribe to Cultivator Kitchen. 🌿