Instant Pot Vegan Pozole!! OMG yummm! 😋 This is a quick & easy version of a spicy Mexican stew with hominy, it’s warm, comforting, and flavorful. This is one of my husband’s all time favorite dishes, and the best part is it makes amazing leftovers.
This is an amazing family recipe, and it makes quite a lot of soup! It also reheats well the next day. Just put it back in your Instant Pot on Saute mode till it’s warmed up, using more broth if it’s thickened slightly. This one is great mid-week when you are quite over cooking. 😆
I call this my ‘cheater pozole’ because it’s so quick and easy. There’s no meat in this dish (duh!) so it is much faster to make. I prefer to add some heartly cubed potatoes but you could use some faux meat if you wanted to! And use e my homemade veggie broth for extra deliciousness.
For toppings I recommend fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime or lemon juice. If you want some fat in this dish you could also add some sliced avocado if you want! 🥑 Other common toppings are shredded cabbage or lettuce and finely chopped onion.
Instant Pot Vegan Pozole
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp veggie broth or olive oil for sautéing
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 25 oz can hominy
- 1 4 oz can roasted green chilies
- 1 cup potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 green cabbage, cut into strips
- 2 jars salsa verde
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- toppings: cilantro, lemon juice, etc.
- Set your Instant Pot to Sauté mode and add your garlic, onions and broth or evoo to the pot. Let cook till onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add your spices and stir to incorporate, let cook 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes and green chilies, stir to combine. Then turn off the Instant Pot.
- Rinse your hominy thoroughly and then add to the Instant Pot along with the cabbage, broth, and green salsa.
- Close your Instant Pot and set the valve to Sealing, set to Pressure Cook for 10 minutes.
- Manually release the steam and then let the pozole cool for 10-20 minutes. Serve hot and top with a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
If you make this scrumptious Instant Pot vegan pozole, please post a picture to Instagram and tag me @CultivatorKitchen and use the hashtag #culivatorkitchen so I can see!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for a lot more regular content, recipes, and to see my garden videos: Subscribe to Cultivator Kitchen on YouTube.
Any chance you could share how to make this on the stovetop or in a slow cooker (I don’t have an Instant Pot).