Horta is usually made with wild greens by the same name, however, you can enjoy this Greek recipe with all kinds of leafy greens! It’s very versatile, quick, and delicious. This side dish is amazing with steamed potatoes or fresh bread, it’s also excellent with Mediterranean-style bean dishes. 😋 This recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
There is something about cooked lemony greens that are so good and pair well with many dishes. It’s a great recipe for friends or family who are not very into raw green salads. This is great as a topping for crispy bread, as a side dish to a Greek-themed feast, or with some simple stewed white beans or potatoes.
This is a side dish since the greens cook down significantly. There are two ways to prepare the greens: blanch them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes or use my Instant Pot ‘flash steam’ or ‘pressure steam’ method, which I’ll share in the recipe. You can also see it in action, in the video above!
- 2 heads leafy greens (swiss chard, kale, or dandelion greens)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and chop the greens into ribbons.
- Place the greens in the Instant Pot with 1 cup of water and set to Pressure Cook for zero minutes. It will come up to temperature and then turn off. Quick release the steam.
- Drain the greens, and when you can handle them, squeeze out the extra moisture.
- In a serving bowl add the rest of your ingredients and stir to combine well, serve immediately & enjoy!
If you make these delicious greens, post a picture to Instagram and tag me @CultivatorKitchen and use the hashtag #culivatorkitchen so I can check it out!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more recipes and to see my garden videos: Subscribe to Cultivator Kitchen. 🌿