Super indulgent-tasting caramel sauce drizzled over sweet, ripe, sliced bananas with hemp seed sprinkles…proving it is possible to have your cake and eat it too! Fat-free and made in minutes with just 3-ingredients! How is it possible that this is both so decadent and healthy?
This is my go-to snack for when I’m experiencing ‘cravings’ for unhealthy foods, since it’s so satisfying and grounding. You simply can’t not have a smile on your face afterwards.
Did you know the bananas you find in mainland US grocery stores are almost always the Cavendish variety? Cavendish bananas are actually not ripe when yellow, they are still converting starches to sugars, but are ripe when little leopard-like spots form on the peel. The inside will still be firm but sweet, and much easier to digest. Make sure for this recipe your bananas are properly ripe or they just won’t be sweet or creamy enough!
- 5 ripe spotty bananas
- ½ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- hemp seeds for topping
- Blend 2 bananas, the maple syrup and vanilla in a high-speed blender till smooth and creamy.
- Slice the remaining 3 bananas thinly and arrange on a plate or in a bowl.
- Drizzle the banana stack with caramel sauce and sprinkle with hemp seeds. Enjoy!
If you don’t have maple syrup you can substitute a ½ cup soaked pitted dates with their soaking water, the sauce will be a bit darker and thicker but just as delicious.