Here we are in the middle of winter and my garden is under two feet of snow. Usually at this time of year I’m relying on frozen berries, I freeze the local harvest or buy organic frozen from the grocer.
However, this week in the store I found one lone pint of fresh organic strawberries and two pints of fresh organic raspberries. Thank goodness for greenhouse-grown berries & tomatoes in the winter!
While I’m grateful for my find, don’t worry, these beautiful smoothie bowls are equally good with frozen berries. Just remember to always buy your berries organic, they’re on the Dirty Dozen. The Dirty Dozen is the list of foods you should always buy organic due to the high pesticide residue on the conventional equivalents.
You won’t won’t believe this smoothie is only 3 ingredients, because it tastes so sweet & decadent. Share this with a love one or pamper yourself this Valentine’s Day!
Look below for simple and festive smoothie decorating tips.
- 20 pitted medjool dates
- 1. 5 cups organic strawberries
- 1 cup organic raspberries
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ice (sub more water if using frozen berries)
- cacao, carob, or cinnamon powder & seeds for decorating (optional)
- Pit your dates & wash your berries.
- Add all the ingredients to the blender.
- Pour into bowls or glasses & decorate. See ideas below!
How to Decorate
For the smoothie bowls –
- Fold a piece of paper in half and going along the fold cut half a heart.
- Unfold to reveal a heart-shaped cutout!
- Hold the sheet over your smoothie bowl and sprinkle cacao, carob or cinnamon powder!
- Arrange more berries or some hemp seeds on top.
For the smoothie glasses –
- Gentle press a raspberry to flatten, then smoosh the top to form a heart.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds or cinnamon.
- Use festive striped paper straws, these can be composted afterwards!
Make it fancy, you deserve it.