Lahanosalata is a Greek cabbage salad with lots of delicious herbs and a light lemon dressing! It’s crunchy, refreshing, and fragrant. This salad perfectly accompanies pasta, pizza, or other more hearty dishes. It also holds up well as a slaw on sandwiches or for a picnic or to-go snack. 😋 This recipe is vegan, raw, and gluten-free.
It’s finally starting to feel like salad season up here in the north! We’ve survived ‘second winter’ and now I’m craving all the greens and Mediterranean dishes. Even as a salad lover, it can be good to mix it up from time to time, and I find lettuce-free salads hold up better when served outdoors while it’s hot or to take to parties or for a work lunch. Not to mention the humble cabbage is often overlooked, it’s cheap, crunchy, tasty, and a little sweet.
There are many ways you can change this up by adding different herbs or using a drizzle of tahini for a creamier dressing that is more akin to a Greek ‘coleslaw.’ Lahanosalata is not very well known in the US but I hope that it catches on due to its delicious herby, lemony flavor, and versatility.
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch parsley, finely minced
- 1 tbsp garlic chives, finely minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Shred your cabbage and thinly slice or mince the rest of the vegetables. Add them to a large salad bowl.
- Add your spices, lemon juice, and olive oil on top of the greens and toss them well to combine for 2 minuntes.
- Let the cabbage salad rest for another 2 mintues and then serve & enjoy!
If you make this delicious cabbage salad, post a picture to Instagram and tag me @CultivatorKitchen and use the hashtag #culivatorkitchen so I can check it out!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for more recipes and to see my garden videos: Subscribe to Cultivator Kitchen. 🌿